Wednesday, December 5, 2012

In the News: Thor Urbana plans major investment in Playa del Carmen's Quinta Avenida

Writing for Judi Shaw today is Melanie Cote, Virtual Assistant

Loved reading this article, although I feel torn sometimes of major luxury brands coming to quiet and laid back Playa del Carmen.

Read the full article here 


When my mom first visited Playa del Carmen in the late 80's, she remembers A sandy street, large coconut trees on the beach, one tiny little police station, the ferry, wild pigs loose on the beach, hmmocks and just a quiet sleepy fishing village.

She told me about her experience in Playa, I must have been 14 or 15 years old. Fifteen years later, I returned and fell in love with the destination.  I quit my career in film and decided I wanted to dive for a living.  I went back to Canada, sold everything and returned to Playa with 2 suitcases and my dog Mohito.



I loved the quietness by day, roaming the Quinta, having a slice of pizza, a spicy taco, a salty chelada and making friends with international expats.  The night was busy, parties everywhere, a good time to be had.  In 3 years I saw Playa explode.  We joked that every week added a street corner to the Quinta...

The big brands were also settling in Playa.  I remember Starbucks opening and then Walmart.  Creature comforts, those little things we would miss from our countries became more and more accessible.  I remember buying rapini at Walmart and other goodies.

I loved that Playa was growing but it also saddened me to see her grow up.

I eventually moved to Tulum but it just wasn't the same. I was looking for Playa but the pedestrian friendliness was missing, the expat vibe, the busy beaches...

I've since returned home, but I can still find Playa when I look for her.  She's safe, hip, offering a varied and yummy palate to all who love food!

I still work in Playa del Carmen, the real estate market has been increasing ever since.  Investments such as these are so good for our market.  Playa will always be my secret get a away (and for many others) , may she grow and mature, I will always love her!!

to be continued...



No comments:

Post a Comment